3DS MAX

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 
User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Tutorialized Forums3D Graphics3DS MAX

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

Unread Tutorialized Forums Sponsor:
Old May 27th, 2016, 10:34 AM
Tutorialized Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 1 Flamin_Squirrel User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 1 h 13 m 46 sec
Reputation Power: 0
Can't array multiple objects + bones

Hi guys. I'm completely stumped by what should be an easy task.

I've created a single retractable landing leg for a space vehicle. I've got my objects in place with an IK bone structure to create the correct motion which is all working nicely, but I need to copy it to each corner of the vehicle. An array would normally be my choice to achieve this, but no matter what I do I can't get the pivots in the middle for all objects in the centre, so it breaks. For some reason I can't group all the objects to achieve this either. Any ideas?

I would have included an image, but the forum won't let me.

Old June 7th, 2016, 07:14 AM
Tutorialized Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 105 VG-architect User rank is Corporal (100 - 500 Reputation Level)VG-architect User rank is Corporal (100 - 500 Reputation Level)VG-architect User rank is Corporal (100 - 500 Reputation Level)VG-architect User rank is Corporal (100 - 500 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 1 Day 14 h 58 m 9 sec
Reputation Power: 5
Facebook
The Use Pivot Point Center button, available from the Use Center flyout, lets you enable rotation or scaling of one or more objects around their respective pivot points.

side note: The transformation center mode is set on a transform-by-transform basis, so select the transform before you select the center mode. If you do not want the center setting to change, turn on Customize menu > Preferences > General tab > Reference Coordinate System group > Constant.

if you imported from a DWG file into max.

Grouping is not possible with file-linked objects. Imagine the whole file-linked model as an xref. You can't select same-layer entities individually, they are treated like a family of objects.
File linking is only good really for objects that do not need to be moved around or edited once they are linked, like walls and floors. One benefit of file linking is that you can update/revise the AutoCad drawing and then reload the file-link and NOT have to reapply materials or UVW modifiers.

For all other elements of the model, you should just import them separately; I usually only keep the very main components remaining in the original drawing for file-linking. All the other second and third fix components are w-blocked out into separate dwgs of their own, for 'import' into Max at a later stage

yours sincerely
Tony

Viewing: Tutorialized Forums3D Graphics3DS MAX > Can't array multiple objects + bones

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: