3DS MAX

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 
User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Tutorialized Forums3D Graphics3DS MAX

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

Unread Tutorialized Forums Sponsor:
Old May 10th, 2016, 03:27 AM
Tutorialized Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 4 Wo0tman User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 19 m 24 sec
Reputation Power: 0
Material Problem

Hello, I'm currently trying to texture a model I downloaded online. I'm working on a CSGO map and I needed a paint roller that had a extra long pole but I wasn't able to find a free one. So I downloaded a regular one and added the pole myself. I figured out how to texture the actual paint roller. The file came with a materials file which wrapped the textures to the right spots but when I try to add a material to the cylinders I made for the pole, it keeps forcing the same material I used on a cylinder part of the original model, and it's not letting me apply a new material.
www.imgur. com/a/Zpa2k
As you can see from these screenshots. I'm trying to apply the dark material to the small cylinder but it keeps applying the metal material that I used on the upper part. The funny thing is I noticed the sphere I put at the bottom of the pole allowed me to apply a material just fine. Which tells me the fact it's a cylinder is conflicting. I tried converting it to other things and none of them seem to work. Can anyone tell me why it may be doing this and how I could go about fixing it? I'm new to 3ds max and I've already spent too much time trying to figure this out. Especially considering it's such a small aspect of my map.

Old May 10th, 2016, 09:58 PM

Posts: 105 VG-architect User rank is Corporal (100 - 500 Reputation Level)VG-architect User rank is Corporal (100 - 500 Reputation Level)VG-architect User rank is Corporal (100 - 500 Reputation Level)VG-architect User rank is Corporal (100 - 500 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 1 Day 14 h 58 m 9 sec
Reputation Power: 5
Facebook
If you select a new material slot and assign the colour/texure you want it should not over-right the texture,

each time you add a new material you will need to choose a new slot for you're new material then you need to select the object you want to apply the new material too

unless you have a material ID setup and a multi/sub-object material. multi/sub-object allow you to have multi material on one sphere (slot)

IMHO you should run through the tutorials and the reference files that you have with max. i think you're really jumping ahead of yourself if you're new to max

Last edited by VG-architect : May 10th, 2016 at 10:01 PM.

Old May 10th, 2016, 10:31 PM

Thanks, I actually discovered this myself a little while ago. I was working under a multi material slot and I thought to myself, maybe if I choose a new slot outside of it and sure enough it did work. Thanks for the reply though. I'm not really trying to become a modeler or anything, just basic knowledge to allow me to alter existing models is what I'm trying to achieve.

Old May 10th, 2016, 10:40 PM

Posts: 105 VG-architect User rank is Corporal (100 - 500 Reputation Level)VG-architect User rank is Corporal (100 - 500 Reputation Level)VG-architect User rank is Corporal (100 - 500 Reputation Level)VG-architect User rank is Corporal (100 - 500 Reputation Level) 
Facebook
you cannot just jump into a 3d software like max and not expect to learn anything about the software you would need to get the materials down pat before you decide to alter existing models,

one more piece of advice i hope you're not planning to put you're work online unless you have written persmission to do so by the modeler the only way to get past this is if you download the model for free. just because you change it in some way does not make it you're own.

Old May 18th, 2016, 08:17 PM

Well for one that's how I learn any program I ever used. It's called mess around with it until I figure out what things do. Ask questions if I can't figure something out. You claiming that I shouldn't be using something because I don't know how to use it is retarded. Secondly the models I'm using are royalty free. I can do what ever the heck I want with them. Trust me I'm not an idiot. Good day.

Old May 18th, 2016, 09:41 PM

Facebook
maybe you should learn the T&C of the autodesk software unless you have a full verison of 3ds max you cannot put it online sell it etc with the full version then you can do what you like with the models you have created incudling selling them and posting them online

as i've explained just because it's free and you modify it does not make it you're own.

please don't tell a 7 year veteran of max what is knows and does not know and what he can and cannot do!

Old May 18th, 2016, 10:17 PM

And you're assuming I have a free version LOL. K buddy what ever helps you sleep at night.

Old May 18th, 2016, 10:38 PM

Facebook
why would you pay $35 hundred on max plus the subscription fee if you don't want to learn it, that is just a waste of money, and i don't need to help sleep at night. i sleep at night well with my wife!

Viewing: Tutorialized Forums3D Graphics3DS MAX > Material Problem

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: