Accounting

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 
User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Tutorialized ForumsBusiness DevelopmentAccounting

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

Unread Tutorialized Forums Sponsor:
Old October 11th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Tutorialized Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 1 michaelkingdom User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 11 m 11 sec
Reputation Power: 0
A Career in Accounting

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some career advice. I currently own and operate a catering company. I am looking to make a career change into accounting. My goal is to have my own accounting service including bookkeeping and tax preparation, specializing in small businesses. Being a small business owner, I believe this will help me to guide my clients.

Education: I have an Associates Degree in liberal arts and a three year trade school for restaurant management. While neither of these qualify me to enter accounting, they don't hurt.

So, my question is, what path would you recommend to gain education and experience? I have talked to a few people and I have gotten a surprising variety of answers. Here are some snippets of advice I have gotten from various people:

-Sorry, you might be too old.
-You need to become a CPA. They are the only ones who make any money.
-You are absolutely not too old.
-I have no formal education in accounting aside from Accounting 1 at my community college. I have been in accounting for 35 years and I do very well.

I suppose the path to becoming an accountant will be a mixture of real world experience and education. What path would you recommend?

Any comments are greatly appreciated,

Michael

Old November 26th, 2012, 02:46 AM

Posts: 3 taxshopnet User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 25 m 40 sec
Post Tax Taunton

Tax Taunton offers modern accounting to businesses as an alternative platform to streamline their operations. This new system enables businesses to have better records and reports that are secure and error-free. It brings numerous of advantages and is fast becoming as a leading trends among small and large industries.

Old December 10th, 2012, 04:19 AM

Posts: 39 nidhishukla User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 6 h 16 m 20 sec
Reputation Power: 2
Thumbs up Career In Accounting

Nice information is provided regarding career in accounting i would like to share some thing related to it. Accounting is a thing which never ends because in each place accounting takes place in business and industries and more over if we talk about the software then online accounting software is one of the best and ultimate form of utilization of accounting.

Old December 10th, 2012, 09:06 AM

Posts: 5 Law2rence User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 13 m
I suppose the path to becoming an accountant will be a mixture of real world experience and education.

Last edited by Law2rence : December 10th, 2012 at 09:08 AM.

Old December 21st, 2012, 02:40 AM

Posts: 3 taxshopnet User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 25 m 40 sec
Post Online Accounting

Online accounting provides ample of advantages for the companies. By determining the benefits it does for the businesses, business owners can enjoy a safe, fast and reliable way to monitor the financial status of their organization.

Old December 22nd, 2012, 12:16 AM

Posts: 2 vekhamjon User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 27 m 19 sec
hello, Todays demands of accountants is high and making a sequre carrier in this field as a future aspect.

Old June 21st, 2013, 02:28 PM

Posts: 25 hockey97 User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 6 h 12 m 24 sec
In accounting right now the economy is bad in the U.S so it's hard to get a job because there are fewer jobs in the economy right now. Which makes every profession competitive. I myself have an Associates degree in Accounting and Finance and for 5 years been applying to jobs but never getting anything. I am now in my last year for college. I am getting my bach Degree in Accounting and Finance.

Most jobs I applied to want a bach degree in your hands for only Accounting and they want 5 years experience in accounting.
The reason is that there are people in the economy that has 5 or more years experience. So, these companies they know they exist and would rather have these people get paid the entry level position wage. which these people end up doing.

You need to get a CPA license to make the big bucks. If your dream is to make alot of money in Accounting. You must be a CPA license since they're the guys that actually signs off any financial statement and they hang their neck out. If the company is doing any financial fraud it's the duty of the CPA to report this and if he doesn't he is as guilty as the company.
It's a stressful position but if you work for major companies you will get a high wage which bonuses to keep you happy because you're sticking your neck out and yes you can lose your CPA license if you're found guilty for being part of the financial fraud.

My suggestion for a career path in Accounting you should aim to get into the IRS. Once you have 3 years experience working for the IRS. You can open up your own accounting firm. You can use that experience to help market your business.

Most people want to go to Accountants that has experience working in the IRS and it's because most of why people use Accountants is solely because of the IRS requirements.

The Assumption is that if you work in the IRS at least 3 years. You know the ins and out of how they run. Which means you're better then any other accountant that doesn't have that experience.

The money making part of Accounting is solely at the tax portion part. However, if you have worked at the IRS 3 years or more. The more the better it is. Then have a CPA license. Most big corps will want you. Everyone will want you to do their taxes and take care of their accounting. It's because it's impressive to have that on your resume.

Ya, your age isn't too old. I can see where people are saying you're too old. IRS looks for young people in their 20s. If you're in your 30s. It's kinda late and most get a bad impression some think maybe you're lazy or a college dropout.

They're looking for people that want Accounting to be nothing but their life. They don't feel easy to hear someone at age 33 is trying to get into Accounting. It will take you 4 or more years for you to get the degrees and be able to sit for the CPA exam. So you will be around 37 or 38 by then. When you hit age 40. It's considered too late.

Viewing: Tutorialized ForumsBusiness DevelopmentAccounting > A Career in Accounting

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: