Bryce 3D

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 
User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Tutorialized Forums3D GraphicsBryce 3D

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

Unread Tutorialized Forums Sponsor:
Old September 4th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Contributing User
Tutorialized Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 5 Birtz3 New User: is a brand new recruit and a unknown entity at this point. 
Time spent in forums: < 1 sec
Reputation Power: 0
Problems on Smoothing

Hello everybody. This is the first time I make something on 3dsmax without the help of a tutorial.
I'm trying to make a car I designed myself and I've got some problems with the smoothing. I separated the parts of the car in smoothing groups, but they all are only one object.

1. The corners of the front window must be squary.
2. I would like to smooth only the corners of the rear window, not the whole part

3. I would like to make the side spoiler straight, but it's making a curve

4. It's happening the same problem of the front windows with this part

5. This part is also wrong:

Do you know how to fix these things?
Thanks

Old September 4th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Contributing User

Posts: 41 praveenjoti123 New User: is a brand new recruit and a unknown entity at this point. 
Try "champhering" the edges by selecting the whole edge loop.

Old September 5th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Contributing User

Posts: 55 mrgrotey New User: is a brand new recruit and a unknown entity at this point. 
The rpoblems you are experiencing are not chamfering sharp edges and not keeping to four sided polygons. See below...

Problem 1 & 2:

To keep the corners of the window sharp you need to chamfer the sharp edge see below for a rough idea of what it would look like

Problem 3:

The same sort of problem here, you need to add a chamfer to the corner edges. This will give you a sharper edge.

Also, you should adjust your geometry along the side skirts so that there are only four sided polygons like the pic below...

Problem 4:

I think this occurs when you use a smoothing modifier and separate by smoothing groups, this is not a good way of sharpening edges as it creates error like the one you have experienced here. you should use chamfering instead. chamfer the highlighted edge in the pic below and the problem will hopefully disappaear.

As well as that you need to chamfer the edge closes to the wheel to get a sharper outside edge

Problem 5:

Same old problem, see below of how it should look...

All in all, you're not doing too bad, you've just got to model using a couple of rules and try not to deviate from these as much as possible

1. Stay to four sided polygons (known in the industry as 'Quads') as these produce much more accurate smoothing results.

2. Add a small chamfer edges to create sharper edges after smoothing. Either that or move existing edges closer together aslong as it doent messup the edge flow of the model.

3. Never (exept for in very rare cases) have razor sharp edges on a model as these are not realistic. Everything in real life has a chamfer or rounded edge (however small or seemingly insignificant) which reflects light, and adding these will do wonders for the realism of your model.

and just another helper. when you draw the edge around the wheel arch (or pretty much any other archway) the edges should always point to the centre of the arc, in this case the edges should point to where the centre of the wheel would be. This produces much nicer geometry and better results in the long run.

Hope this helps

Michael

"People said I was dumb.... but I proved them!"

Phillip. J. Fry

Old September 5th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Contributing User

Posts: 5 Birtz3 New User: is a brand new recruit and a unknown entity at this point. 
Yeah, that's it!! I wasn't chamfering any edge, I didn't know about this, now my car is getting much better. Thanks for the help!

Old September 9th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Contributing User
Tutorialized Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Posts: 908 aziz New User: is a brand new recruit and a unknown entity at this point. 
Time spent in forums: 1 h 28 m 5 sec
Send a message via MSN to aziz Send a message via Yahoo to aziz
you can also use turbo smooth by selecting the faces where you want it to be smooth.

regarding ISA server,

http://www.isaserver.50g.com

Viewing: Tutorialized Forums3D GraphicsBryce 3D > Problems on Smoothing

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: