Fireworks

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 
User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Tutorialized Forums2D GraphicsFireworks

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

Unread Tutorialized Forums Sponsor:
Old April 16th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Contributing User
Tutorialized Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 9 angel New User: is a brand new recruit and a unknown entity at this point. 
Time spent in forums: < 1 sec
Reputation Power: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to angel
transparent gifs!

each time i try to make a transparent pic i end up havin this white noise around the text and/or elements on my pic
wut am i doin wrong here ?!
wut do i need to do to make it right ?!

psp rookie

Old April 18th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Contributing User

Posts: 153 PC-Grafix New User: is a brand new recruit and a unknown entity at this point. 
You just need to make your original in a higher res with more detail. Once you have masked the BG, THEN cut it down to size and export with transparency.

Old April 19th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Contributing User

Posts: 9 angel New User: is a brand new recruit and a unknown entity at this point. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC-Grafix
You just need to make your original in a higher res with more detail. Once you have masked the BG, THEN cut it down to size and export with transparency.

1st of all thanx for replyin..
but unfortunately this seems complicated to me
why would i mask the BG? export ?
am really sorry i know i sound stupid..

by the way, why cant my avatar upload?!

Old April 19th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Contributing User

Posts: 153 PC-Grafix New User: is a brand new recruit and a unknown entity at this point. 
Quote:
why would i mask the BG?

How do you normally create a transparent gif?

Old April 20th, 2006, 06:36 AM
Contributing User

Ctrl+N > Background Contents: Transparent

Old April 20th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Contributing User

You are masking the background when you choose transparent. The issue is that the program is only removing certain colored pixels, and at the edges of your image, there are pixels that are cross-colored. They are there to blend the image into the existing background. So when you mask the bg color, you are only masking the pure white (or whatever color) pixels out. The remaining edges are bleed colors from the image.

and the program you are using is ....

Old April 22nd, 2006, 10:22 AM
Contributing User

photoshop cs2

Old April 22nd, 2006, 06:51 PM
Contributing User

Posts: 472 Drew New User: is a brand new recruit and a unknown entity at this point. 
Time spent in forums: 1 h 10 m 35 sec
humm i have this problem too .. often ... i usually just end up using png to solve it .. but this makes the file size a bit big for common usage

hope someone can help solve this little nagging problem

http://s12.invisionfree.com/razor1

Old April 24th, 2006, 02:14 AM
Contributing User

Posts: 119 techartgeek New User: is a brand new recruit and a unknown entity at this point. 
Time spent in forums: 2 h 20 m 14 sec
Hi guys

I guess if we get our basics right it's just a matter of choice.

If you want smooth edges then you will have to sit back with the white (or rather a gradient) edge coz the least amount of space a color can occupy is one pixel.

If you want to avoid that white noise as you call it, use the difringe command in Photoshop. That helps you get rid of most of that white noise. You will have to get rid of the rest with one pixel eraser. But beware the result would have jagged edges.

Do let me know if anyone has a better piece of info.

Old April 25th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by techartgeek
Hi guys

I guess if we get our basics right it's just a matter of choice.

If you want smooth edges then you will have to sit back with the white (or rather a gradient) edge coz the least amount of space a color can occupy is one pixel.

If you want to avoid that white noise as you call it, use the difringe command in Photoshop. That helps you get rid of most of that white noise. You will have to get rid of the rest with one pixel eraser. But beware the result would have jagged edges.

Do let me know if anyone has a better piece of info.

i will be greatful if u explain the difringe command
much appreciated!

Old April 25th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Contributing User

Quote:
You will have to get rid of the rest with one pixel eraser. But beware the result would have jagged edges.

Exactly. This is why I suggested making it a high res image BEFORE any editing. Make that sucker 300 DPI, THEN removed the white around the edges. You will find that the removal leaves a MUCH smoother finish as opposed to leaving it at 72DPI. Once done, then make your size adjustments as needed.

Old April 26th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Contributing User

Posts: 119 techartgeek New User: is a brand new recruit and a unknown entity at this point. 
If you want to use your transparent image in some software like MS Word which doesn't give a damn to what resolution your image is you can do what PC-Grafix said. Create a high res image, then delete the background and export with the help of the wizard in Help menu. That would do the trick.

If however you want to use it in some other graphics program or some other file in photoshop itself there are better ways to do that.

I tried creating one and included it on a webpage over text. Below are the results. If they are satisfactory for your purpose, lemme know and I will tell you how to exactly get such results.

This is the image:

This is the image on text in a webpage:

Old April 26th, 2006, 01:07 AM
Contributing User

Quote:
If you want to use your transparent image in some software like MS Word which doesn't give a damn to what resolution your image is you can do what PC-Grafix said

Hence, the instruction to "make your size adjustments as needed" Why is that so hard to understand? - size = res when working with web image. I do such work all the time. It really isn't a big deal. Sorry I seem to have stepped on your sensitive toes. Knock yourself out pal, I'll stay away from now on.

Old April 26th, 2006, 01:25 AM
Contributing User

What (and who) are you getting so pumped up at, pal?

I appreciate your concern and that you have loads of practical experience but you definitely can't use a 300 dpi image for web. Scaling an image doesn't reduce its filesize, interpolating does. You have to interpolate an image to 72 dpi if you are going to use it on web. Isn't it so?

If it is for print, as i said, for MS Word or something like that, you can use a 300 dpi image and scale it down (thus scaling the noise down too) to fit the available space coz then what matters is the printed output and not the filesize on disk.

If I sounded dumb or offending, accept my apologies.

Old April 26th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Contributing User

Well lets see. I don't know what kind of monitor YOU have, but mine has resolution settings. I currently have them both set at 1200x1600 which mean the screen print 1200 pixels down and 1600 pixels across. Now, regardless of the size in inches when the image prints, which is all DPI does, how does making my image 300 DPI effect how it display on a screen? Lets say I have two images, one is 200x100 at 72DPI and the other is 200x100 at 600 DPI. How much screen space do each take up? THE SAME! What is the difference? Yeah, some bandwidth. Which leads to your issue with my explaination. What is your problem with this? Are you too blind to REPEATEDLY see the instruction to ADJUST the image once the editing is finished? I prepared three images to prove my point. An original JPG, and two GIF. You know what. screw you. I am not goign to waste the bandwidth on my server to prove my point. You just keep doing things your myopic way and making sure no one else can have other methods.

Your advise left the user with jagged edges, my advise corrects that problem and results in EXACTLY the same file size. Yet you start using a tone that indicates I don't know what I am talking about, THEN wonder why I am "pumped up". Well you're the reason. You apparently have little practical experence and are not open to other ways to do things. And you know what? That fine. I am outa here. You amatures can have this forum. It's full if kids with nothing to do and people like you. Post as many replys as you like. I wont be back to read them.

Goodbye.

Viewing: Tutorialized Forums2D GraphicsFireworks > transparent gifs!

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: