Gimp

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 
User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Tutorialized Forums2D GraphicsGimp

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

Unread Tutorialized Forums Sponsor:
Old April 23rd, 2011, 06:04 PM
Tutorialized Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 1 DawnaC User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 11 m 3 sec
Reputation Power: 0
Gimp Bucket Fill, Paintbrush & Pencil don't apply color to image

Hi,

I hope someone can help me with a problem that's preventing me from using Gimp tools.

The tools such as the Bucket Fill, Paintbrushes and Pencil are not working in my Gimp 2.6.11 program. For example, when I click on the Paintbrush icon, and I use the Normal Mode, select Opacity 100%, and make sure the size of the Paintbrush is large enough to be able to cover an area with paint, and then try to paint with a color on the image, no color is applied. This is what happens when I try to use the other tools such as the Pencil and Bucket Fill, Airbrush as well. The Color Picker (eyedropper) works, though.

When I click on the upper right-hand corner X of the window to shut down the Gimp program, another small window appears with the message, "Save the changes to image 'Star' before closing?" So it seems the program records the changes, but there are no visible changes to the image.

I checked the properties of the image ("Star") that I'm working on in Gimp, and made sure that the image wasn't Read Only, and made sure the permissions were set so I should be able to edit it using Gimp.

I'm using Vista Home Premiun OS, and when the problem appeared, I spent time making sure all the permissions were set so the program should work. I also verified the owner was correct in Properties> Security> Advanced> Owner tab. I did this for the Desktop Shortcut, the C:\Program Files\Gimp-2.0 folder, the C:\Users\Dawna\App\Roaming\gtk-2.0 folder, the C:\Users\Dawna\.gimp-2.6 folder, and set the Desktop Shortcut Properties so I run the program as administrator, and all users run the program as administrator. I also made sure permissions were correct for the C:\Users\Dawna\.gimp-2.6\brushes folder properties. I noticed that the brushes folder was read only, and maybe this is not correct(?). I couldn't remove the read only setting. I did the same with the C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\share\gimp\2.0\brushes folder re: permissions, and it was also read only, and I couldn't change it from read only. I did the same with the C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\share\gimp\2.0\gimpressionist\Brushes folder and it, too, was read only.

I uninstalled the Gimp program, removed all the elements of the program that the uninstall didn't remove, and restarted my computer. Then when I reinstalled the program, a window appeared with the message, "IPersistFile::Save failed; code 0x80070005, Access is denied." The Gimp program worked for a long time and the problem developed before I reinstalled Gimp, so I don't know if that message has any relevance as far as the tools still not working after reinstalling.

Is there a chance someone using the computer has blocked some part of the Gimp program and that's causing the tools not to work? I am somewhat familiar with using Start> Control Panel> Windows Firewall> Allow a program through Windows Firewall. I'm not as experienced using Start> Administrative Tools> Windows Firewall with Advanced Security but if anyone can advise what the settings for Gimp should be, that might be helpful.

Any help would be very much appreciated. I've used the Gimp program successfully for about a year, though I'm not really proficent with all aspects of it. I'm able to make changes using regedit if that might help, and there's the possibility someone may have made changes in the registry I'm not aware of. I can't think of any solution, so I'm asking for advice.

Thanks.

Viewing: Tutorialized Forums2D GraphicsGimp > Gimp Bucket Fill, Paintbrush & Pencil don't apply color to image

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: