Gimp

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 
User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Tutorialized Forums2D GraphicsGimp

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

Unread Tutorialized Forums Sponsor:
Old August 7th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Tutorialized Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 3 gimpkatz User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 30 m 37 sec
Reputation Power: 0
How to put an image on another image?

Hi!
Newbie to GIMP here, so be gentle! I have used other image editors in the past, but nothing as elaborate as GIMP, so I have having problems figuring this thing out. What I am trying to do right now is put an image on another image.

Example: I am trying to put an image of a guitar on a picture of the linux penguin (tux), & I can do that, except I get the whole rectangle of the guitar pic, white background & all, which I don't want. I am simply trying to "overlay"? the image of the guitar only on the penguin. I have read through various tutorials only to become more confused & bogged down with terms I do not understand.

Help!

Old August 8th, 2007, 04:44 PM

Still don't know about this; all I am able to get accomplished is getting the whole rectangle of the guitar pic pasted over the 1rst one, & then I have to try to "paint" the pic to blend them both together, resulting in a very messy job. If anyone can shed some light on this one, I would sure appreciate it!

Thanks!

Old August 11th, 2007, 11:03 PM

Posts: 6 Honkers User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 1 h 26 m 22 sec
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpkatz
Still don't know about this; all I am able to get accomplished is getting the whole rectangle of the guitar pic pasted over the 1rst one, & then I have to try to "paint" the pic to blend them both together, resulting in a very messy job. If anyone can shed some light on this one, I would sure appreciate it!

Thanks!

I'm not totally sure what you mean, but have you tried the Select shape from images tool? (The scissors icon?)

Old August 12th, 2007, 07:10 AM

Quote:
I'm not totally sure what you mean, but have you tried the Select shape from images tool? (The scissors icon?)

I am trying to layer one image over another, for example, something like this;

Take a picture of an empty lake, & then insert a pic. of a fishing boat in it, & then maybe a pic. of a dock at one end of the lake. Actually, I have found out how to do this. The scissors are a very clunky way, there is a much better way to do it.

Quote:
Sometimes when working with an image you want to make a certain color transparent. When working with a gif file this would make a round circle look round on any color background. This is actually very simple once you do it once. Finding the information for this took me a while so I thought I would pass it on to anyone that was interested.

1. Open your image in the gimp.

2. Right click the image and go to LAYERS then ADD ALPHA CHANNEL. You won't notice anything happening, but don't be concerned. It basically adds a transparent layer at the bottom of your image so when we erase the colors.....it's shows the transparent layer. Which of course would show whatever was under it on the screen.

3. Right click on the image again and go to SELECT and then down to BY COLOR. A window that is all black opens up. Don't change any of the settings....just use the defaults for now.

4. Now click on the color in the image you want to be transparent. These colors will now show up outlined.

5. Right click on the image again and go to EDIT and then down to CLEAR. This should now erase the outlined color you just picked from the image and the "transparent gimp checkerbox" should show through. This is the Gimps way of showing you that section is now transparent.

6. Right click on the image and choose SAVE AS and make sure to save as a GIF file if you want the transparency to work on the web.

Another fun feature that can be used while using the SELECT and BY COLOR ..... instead of hitting CLEAR you can FILL W BG COLOR or the other one FILL W FG COLOR ........... this allows you to change the colors over the entire image instantly for the particular pixel color you choose to start with. Very fast and fun once you figure this out.

Cheers, gimpkatz

Viewing: Tutorialized Forums2D GraphicsGimp > How to put an image on another image?

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: