Gimp

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 
User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Tutorialized Forums2D GraphicsGimp

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

Unread Tutorialized Forums Sponsor:
Old March 16th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Contributing User
Tutorialized Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 7 TRAM New User: is a brand new recruit and a unknown entity at this point. 
Time spent in forums: < 1 sec
Reputation Power: 0
What about GIMP!?

I am suprised by the amount of tutorials on this site, with so many for so any programs! The thing that doesn't impress me is that with all these tutorials for different programs, there's none for Gimp! Gimp has been around 10 years now, and there is nothing useful here!

I am also suprised by the amount of tutorials per program, like blender, Gimp, and other open source programs. There is few, if not none for these programs! These open source projects, are somewhat known, yet people still choose to use commerical programs, because they are more popular, and well known! Do you people honestly rather use a pirated program, or a legit open source program, that has a few less features than the commercial one, and does some things better than the commercial ones? I have to admit I have blender and 3ds max, I use 3ds max becuse I've learned how to use it, and that took some time, learning blender has been less interesting because I hate trying to figure out new programs. I still have a ton of stuff to learn, about graphics, and there are things I'm still learning about 3ds max. I plan to go into game development, and lately I've been visualizing my game, and I want to make some of the objects that shall be put into the game (at least as art props, I still have to learn programming) yet, I am not very good at modeling the points of these models. They involve some irregular curved meshes, and I can only model even, surfaces. I did find the amount of tutorials on this site for 3dsmax, very helpful (I have not gone through more than one, but I need some help with GIMP in order to begin this turorial).

Do not take offense to this, I don't mean an patronizing or ranting of the sort.

EDIT: Damnit, someone read this for crying out loud! You assuming bastards at least read something before judging it, 5 views? You will not acknowledge or even hear the arguement at hand if it so rightfully questions your practices? I am not person who is good with words, so just read this and hear my plee for more tutorials in specific sections! Gimp and Blender being the most prominant sections wanted.

Old March 16th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Contributing User
Tutorialized Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Posts: 506 kurt User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 5 m 48 sec
Whoaaa.... calm down there buddy.

You want more categories? No problem, all you need to do is contact me.

I'll add some additional categories this week.

Now chill.......

Kurt

Old March 16th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Contributing User
Tutorialized Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Posts: 1,286 The Creator User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 22 m 35 sec
Send a message via MSN to The Creator
good old admin

Old March 16th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Contributing User

Posts: 7 TRAM New User: is a brand new recruit and a unknown entity at this point. 
Ok, sorry, my pet peeves concerning forums are this:

1. lots of views to my thread, but no replies! Almost as if people think I'm such a loser they don't bother speaking with meh!

2. Having a thread title that some people might find whiney/annoying, and no one even viewing the thread, after a long time.

Thanks for doing the adding

Old March 16th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Contributing User
Tutorialized Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Posts: 506 kurt User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 5 m 48 sec
4 posts total, 2 of them in this thread, and you're complaining?

Old March 16th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Contributing User

Posts: 472 Drew New User: is a brand new recruit and a unknown entity at this point. 
Time spent in forums: 1 h 10 m 35 sec
tryed gimp didn't recon much to it but i could be wrong .... show us some of you stuff dude ...

but thats why I never answered your question ... I don't know your program so why should i answer it ? ... atleast i looked to see if i could of helped not just totally ignored it ....

Also if you are still having problems with it then contact the peeps that make Gimp they will help you as they shure need to keep and inprove on their user base .....

As for getting into games and learning how to do game stuff go out and buy UT2005 with the bonus disc it has loads of vidio tutorials on making what u want and how to use the UT game engine ... master this and peeps like me will listen to you and poss offer jobs out ... UT is one of several games engines we use if you can master one then the rest is simple ... as for 2D art paint in windows is my main app for creating materials I only ever finish off in pshop. keep it simple i say.

Also to mention free apps cool ... I have seen endless stufff done in all sorts of stuff but if you can shine in a free app with out all those whistles and bells the main stream apps do then you are better than most on my book.

But still Maya is free ... lightwave is free GMax is free (well for a while anyway) ok they have restrictions but you can still do one hell of a lot with 400 points ... you don't need the best rendered image, you don,t need the best high detailed model .... jsut show your skill and what it is you do and mainly this is important ..... show the skill you want to bring to the game company not just a comp of all bitz and bobs .. they just go in the bin I.E. if your a modeler show your modeling skills mostly with wire frame. if your a material painter mainly show your artwork with concept sketches.

Just lately we have been taking on peeps who have done or are working on game mods (All ages Too) Game engine exsperiance is high on the list of experiance as it saves me training someone for six months to use it. C++ is next with opengl or DX9 examples.

OK soz I could not help you with your problem but I hope this info helps you to get where you want to be.

Respects

Drew

http://s12.invisionfree.com/razor1

Old March 19th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Contributing User

wait a second... you say lightwave is FREE? JEsus, I've been to LWG (lightwavegroup) and the stuff they make all looks like a commerical app!

Me and my assuming things

Of course MAYA is a commercial app, but there is maya PLE which is free, I downloaded that once, but it was such a confusing interface! There is a ton of stuff I need to learn, learning new programs makes it more confusing. If I could just come up with a list of stuff I need to know... but I'm to lazy , I shall try. Maya PLE was confusing because of all the menus, and the nurbs stuff (one of the things I still don't understand, Nurbs).

Quote:
4 posts total, 2 of them in this thread, and you're complaining?

I am a member of a lot forums, I like to visit them a lot, sometimes I hate them, sometimes not.

I can't get UT 2004, I think, my computer is worse than obsolete. I shall check it out, see if I can afford it, if my computer meets system requisites. When a game package says so and so much RAM required, does that include totaly system ram, or ram not in use? My computer is a 4 year old Dell dimension 8200, pentium 4, RAM 256, nvidia geforce 2. I've played games whose minimum system ram requirements were 256 ram, and they play fine on this computer. Windows XP, takes up 100 or so MB of ram, yet the games still run!
EDIT: oh hell! I can actually play that! That's my assuming things again. I alwasy thought that game was to graphically intensive for my computer to use, guess I was wrong!

Old March 20th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Contributing User

Posts: 472 Drew New User: is a brand new recruit and a unknown entity at this point. 
well assuming make an *** of u and me ... as the saying goes ...

right for a quick tip Tram if you are useing any type of grafx program it is advisable for your PC to have 512 + of ram ... the processor speed is simply faster the better but mem is the main thing ....

yea lightwave without a dongle hes a max of 400 points / vertx and is free to use ....

yea maya is confusing but it is industrial standard and is used in most film SFX studios and animation studios whith a vast aray of in app tools.

hope you enjoy the game

respects drew

Old March 21st, 2006, 04:49 PM
Contributing User

Quote:
yea lightwave without a dongle hes a max of 400 points / vertx and is free to use ....

Sometimes I find it very hard to understand you. This sentence makes no sense to me.

Quote:
right for a quick tip Tram if you are useing any type of grafx program it is advisable for your PC to have 512 + of ram ... the processor speed is simply faster the better but mem is the main thing

Yeah, I knew that. I don't have a job, and I live with my parents (I'm 15!) so getting a new computer is out of the question.

Old March 22nd, 2006, 03:15 PM
Contributing User

Posts: 1 jamija New User: is a brand new recruit and a unknown entity at this point. 
GIMP is about as easy to use as photoshop and its free, which is a definite bonus, but then there are a few things it doesn't have.
Anyway, you can do the photoshop tutorials, but you just have to "translate" them a bit.

Old March 22nd, 2006, 07:06 PM
Contributing User

soz dude a dongle is like a serial code but on a special zip drive you put into the usb ....

just had a look at gimp again it is not that bad ... what is it that u need to know?

maybe I could help you figure it out?

Old April 21st, 2006, 12:49 PM
Contributing User

Posts: 18 dayday New User: is a brand new recruit and a unknown entity at this point. 
who uses pirated programs??? Not I....

Muuahahahahahahaha!!! Ok I'm done

Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:53 AM
Contributing User

Posts: 8 wildurban New User: is a brand new recruit and a unknown entity at this point. 
Send a message via ICQ to wildurban

Viewing: Tutorialized Forums2D GraphicsGimp > What about GIMP!?

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: