Legal

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 
User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Tutorialized ForumsBusiness DevelopmentLegal

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

Unread Tutorialized Forums Sponsor:
Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:04 AM
Tutorialized Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 13 jill8beans2 User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 1 h 43 m 32 sec
Reputation Power: 0
I am wondering about the legal repercussions in regard to texting confidential info

I am studying for the nursing exam, and part of that is getting an understanding of HIPAA, especially patient records confidentiality.

From what I understand, Doctors, Nurses and Hospitals can send any patient information such as discharge or admission times, and certainly not any information about their medical issues, through a non-HIPAA compliant system.

Text messages between patient and doctors are a good example of this, since the data can be intercepted, or the information is stored on the phone and loosing the phone would be a breech of patient confidentiality.

Yet, I see it all the time in hospital and doctor’s offices, and I have received texts from doctors with confidential patient information.

As I was looking into this issue, I found that Tigertext.com provides a HIPAA compliant text messaging system that meets HIPAA rules, since the text messages self delete from the phone after they are read.

So, my questions are:

What is the penalty for breeching patient confidentially by sending normal text messages?
Tigertext cost $10 a month, which is very affordable, but should the hospital provide it to it’s staff, or should the doctors and nurses get it individually?
Will a hospital be HIPAA compliant if it doesn’t provide it for it’s staff?

The HIPAA Security rules are here:

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/srsummary.html

http://www.tigertext.com/business/healthcare/

Old September 24th, 2013, 12:10 AM

Posts: 22 johnysam User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 3 h 33 sec
Hi,

Hi There,
No doctor has the authority to disclose a patients details to anyone except the family members.Such kind of acts should be taken seriously and some legal action should be taken against the hospital and the doctor.

Old March 18th, 2014, 01:19 AM

Posts: 22 johnysam User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 3 h 33 sec
Doctor has no authority to disclose a patients details to anyone except the family members.Such kind of acts should not be legal and you are free to take legal action against the doctor and hospital.

Old July 11th, 2017, 10:18 AM

Posts: 0 TownMan10 User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 56 m 40 sec
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnysam
Doctor has no authority to disclose a patients details to anyone except the family members.Such kind of acts should not be legal and you are free to take legal action against the doctor and hospital.

Woah, a thousand times this. Breach of a fiduciary relationship is a very serious matter. I would stop doing it immediately and discuss with someone higher up.

Viewing: Tutorialized ForumsBusiness DevelopmentLegal > I am wondering about the legal repercussions in regard to texting confidential info

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: