Photoshop

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 
User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Tutorialized Forums2D GraphicsPhotoshop

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

Unread Tutorialized Forums Sponsor:
Old October 3rd, 2004, 03:11 AM
Contributing User
Tutorialized Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 1 ziaadnan New User: is a brand new recruit and a unknown entity at this point. 
Time spent in forums: < 1 sec
Reputation Power: 0
Send a message via MSN to ziaadnan
How do I create a marble pillar in Photoshop?

Hi,

Please can anyone help? I am creating an interactive movie, using Flash and Adobe photoshop CS. I want to create greek style pillars with a smooth shiny white marble effect with small dark grey lines randomly running along it, and want to add an effect as if someone had engraved writing within the pillar.

Can anyone tell me if there are tutorials out there already that show how to do that step by step as I am just a beginner in photoshop and flash.

I would be extremely grateful for anyones help.

Regards

Addy

Old January 19th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Tutorialized Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 1 Joe Kawano User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 15 m 23 sec
Reputation Power: 0
Send a message via ICQ to Joe Kawano
Facebook
Post Close Tutorial and Suggestions

Hi Addy!
You're probably done with your project by now, but if you're still wondering about how to do this (or anyone else out there is, for that matter) here are some suggestions that might help.

To get something close to what you described, I'd suggest you start with a tall rectangle, roughly the color you want, and then use the layer-effects to overlay a texture (like marble), which you should probably reduce in opacity greatly. Then, to add the thin dark lines, I'd create another layer, add some noise, blur it, and then render difference clouds. Play with the levels setting to turn it into weaving, random dark lines, and then set it to a darkening blend mode such as "Multiply." Add a gradient effect, again setting it to a darkening blend to indicate the direction the light is shining.
You might also try some subtle (smooth) embossing & contouring too - though make sure your settings are appropriately round.
To add engraved text, you should create your text using a similar color to that of the resulting pillar, and then activate the emboss/ & contour layer effect, deactivating the "Use Global Light" box, and then setting the light angle to be the 180 degree opposite of what it was originally. Use a hard or soft chisel, and play with the settings to give it that steep, engraved look. (Try making it deeper, with less spread.) This should make the text seem to be cut IN to the pillar, rather than to be standing out.
Hope that helps!
-Joe Kawano

Viewing: Tutorialized Forums2D GraphicsPhotoshop > How do I create a marble pillar in Photoshop?

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: