Windows

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 
User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Tutorialized ForumsOperating SystemsWindows

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

Unread Tutorialized Forums Sponsor:
Old August 8th, 2006, 03:40 AM
Contributing User
Tutorialized Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 12 Mark Dellow New User: is a brand new recruit and a unknown entity at this point. 
Time spent in forums: 50 m 3 sec
Reputation Power: 0
Thumbnail view in 'Open' and 'Save' windows

I'm sure I must be missing something embarrassingly obvious, but if I am, it's got me beat.

It used to be the case that when I opened PaintShop and went to open a file, i.e. I used ctrl+O, the last folder I used would open and the images within it would display as thumbnails. This would always happen unless, once I had got the 'open' window up, I changed the view manually. The same is true of the 'save' window. However, I've recently added another folder which is stored in My Documents, but not within the 'My Pictures' folder. When I go to open pictures from this new folder, the 'open' and 'save' windows always display the files as a list rather than as thumbnails, and even if I change the view manually, it will be the same the next time I open that folder. Is there something special about the 'My Pictures' folder that tells PaintShop to always open files as thumbnails?

( I know I could solve this by moving the new folder inside the My Pictures folder - or at least, I assume I could - but it's got me curious now ).

Also, by the by, when I go to open a file, the 'open' window is always a small window about four inches square, which I then have to expand to see all the files in a given folder. Is there any way to always make the 'open' window bigger - say, to fill the workspace - without having to manually stretch it every time?

As always, all feedback from those of you more knowledgable than myself - which probably accounts for more or less everyone reading this - is gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mark.

Listen to the music of the millennium at
www.dellow.info !

Old August 11th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Contributing User

Posts: 55 mrgrotey New User: is a brand new recruit and a unknown entity at this point. 
Time spent in forums: < 1 sec
If you are using Windows XP it could well be that the thumbnails problem occurs because XP hasnt recognised the folder as a dedicated 'pictures' folder,

you can do this by right clicking the folder and choose 'Customise this folder',
within the window that appears you can choose the type of folder you use it as i.e. images, audio, documents etc. choosing any of these lets Windows set the appearance and layout of the folder to what they think is most effective for that media.

What im waffling on about is that if its categorised as an image folder, windows will automatically display the files as thumbnails.

Try it, and let me know if this works

"People said I was dumb.... but I proved them!"

Phillip. J. Fry

Old August 12th, 2006, 03:15 AM
Contributing User

Posts: 12 Mark Dellow New User: is a brand new recruit and a unknown entity at this point. 
After trying changing the settings manually, this was the next thing I tried. It did seem like the logical solution; however, it didn't work. I thought maybe I needed to re-start the computer after I'd changed the settings, but that didn't work either. Out of interest : if you have a folder within a folder within a folder ( or indeed any length of a chain of sub-folders ) I wonder if the settings for the lowest folder in the chain are over-ridden or otherwise affected by the settings for higher folders?

Old August 13th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Contributing User

Posts: 55 mrgrotey New User: is a brand new recruit and a unknown entity at this point. 
Time spent in forums: < 1 sec
As far as I know the customised folder settings are completely independant to the folder itself and not dependant on its parent folder, so this shouldnt be the case.

im out of ideas to be honest, hope you find what you are looking for

Michael

Old August 14th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Contributing User

I think you're right, which makes it even more confusing. You've gotta wonder what exactly it is that's so special about the My Pictures folder that makes PaintShop treat it differently from any other folder. Maybe I'll try creating a new folder somewhere else and see if it does the same thing with that. If anyone else has any other ideas in the meantime, though ...

Viewing: Tutorialized ForumsOperating SystemsWindows > Thumbnail view in 'Open' and 'Save' windows

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: